Monday, February 12, 2007

The Amelia File

I've been in the unfamiliar (but happy) position the last few months of having second (and third and forth) issues of comics to write. I've got a fair amount of experience writing first issues, since that's what you do when you're developing original comics properties. Serious thought about second and subsequent issues only begins -- for me, at least -- once two conditions have been met: 1). a great artist is attached, and ready to draw, and 2). a publisher has commited to publishing the thing.

So lately I've been in a place I've been working toward being in for a couple of years -- exploiting the hard premise-building work that went into some of my first issues. As of now, I still have issues #3 and #4 of Pathwalkers to write, issue #3 of Venturesome Motes, and pretty much all of Brilig & the Dreamsea.

But.

I kind of started missing the thrill/cloud of self-delusion that goes into creating a new idea from scratch, and the rush of connecting with a talented artist, and... well, all the stuff I'd been dreaming of getting away from for a bit, basically.

So I did it. One week ago, there was no such thing as The Amelia File, but now it's a full-fledged (partial) script in the hands of a very promising artist. With any luck, it will soon be an irresistable pitch with which we shall bombard comics publishing-type companies.

Now I pray it gets rejected, since I have no time to write it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Exner III said...

Ha ha! I love the small type. Uh, yeah, I often worry what might actually happen when I get something accepted and actually have to finish it, or at least keep it going for a while...

Perhaps I'll never know. I think it's great that you're getting the chance though. Don't blow it!

3/02/2007 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home