Monday, September 04, 2006

Comic Conversations

The disappearance of thought balloons in comics, at the Image forums:

JimmyKitty: I love me some thought balloons - mainly because I can't stand people talking aloud- but I guess I should be used to it nowadays with all the bluetooth cell phones in people's ears.

But yes... loss of the thought balloon, I don't understand it, either. People do think. And thinking is faster than talking. It's like reading a book, you get the full dynamic of a person when you're privy to what they think, not just what they say.

It also saves panels...

Booms and Busts, at Millarworld:

Mark Millar: As I just said to someone in an email, this is an AMAZING opportunity for new creators because as the market expands (and it's grown a lot every year since 2000) and creators are split between movies and comics then SOMEONE has to fill that gap. Marvel and DC always poach from the indies so anyone looking to replace the current crop of star writers and artists as their workloads decrease a little should be getting their books out NOW.

Reconstructing Night Star parts 1, 2, 3, and 4, at EX-3's View:

Mike Exner III: The colors for Night Star have always been a bit of a challenge to nail down. When I first concieved of the character in my mind, there was a bit of a clash of styles because of the name. The "Night" in Night Star implies that NS runs around battling criminals at night, and therefore it'd be a smart idea to establish a moody, broody color scheme that accentuates that aspect. But the "Star" in Night Star implies that this character is a celebrity who craves attention, and therefore a bit of flash would probably do the color scheme good...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Exner III said...

Heeeeyyy. I've been PIMPED. Heh heh. Thanks, Rob. Part 5 is up now, and although I don't think my conversations with the "masses" are anywhere near as interesting as the other things you posted, I appreciate the nod anyway.

9/05/2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Robert Burke Richardson said...

Part 5 looks cool -- it's an homage to an Amazing Spider-Man cover, right?

9/05/2006 3:16 PM  
Blogger Mike Exner III said...

It... could be. But if it is, which ASM cover is it we're talking about? THAT is the question.

9/06/2006 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home