Monday, January 07, 2008

Nietzsche on Zuda

An interview with Friedrich Nietzsche (brought to you by Urbis Faerie)

RBR: Thank you so much for being here, Mr. Nietzsche. In all honesty, I was a little surprised when you accepted my request to interview you on this topic. I had no idea you were so passionate about comics.

Nietzsche: Oh, I love comics. (Or Graphic Novels -- I call them Graphic Novels so I won't lose my bookstore cred.) Remember, I invented Superman.

RBR: You invented Superman? But I thought --

Nietzsche: Jerry and Joe made some tweaks, to be sure. But it's clearly my concept of the Ubermensch. All the super hero books are based on my ideas.

And all the other books, too.

RBR: I see…

What do you make of something like Urbis Faerie, which deliberately misreads your study in On the Genealogy of Morals on the origin and historical development of the words we use to refer to the concepts of "good," "bad," and "evil," to posit an ancient and sinister group called The Masters who dominated the various mythological creatures modern humans eventually evolved from?

Nietzsche: It's all good as long as the characters talk about me a lot.

RBR: And the concept of Zuda itself? What do you think of the idea of handing over such a significant chunk of the editorial control to the masses?

Nietzsche: Well, they've basically killed God -- or the God's-eye-view, or the concept of a single, right and true perspective -- haven't they? They've obliterated the foundations of objective truth, and banished clarity forever; never again will we have more than a screaming plurality of voices.

All of which means I approve wholeheartedly, of course.

RBR: Of course. So... why aren't you dead?

Nietzsche: The zombie craze, my friend. We're all here now. I had lunch with Zombie Shakespeare this afternoon.

RBR: So, can I count on your vote for Urbis Faerie?

Nietzsche: Beware the desire to rule --

I have found strength where one does not look for it: in simple, mild, and pleasant people, without the least desire to rule—and, conversely, the desire to rule has often appeared to me a sign of inward weakness: they fear their own slave soul and shroud it in a royal cloak (in the end, they still become the slaves of their followers, their fame, etc.) The powerful natures dominate, it is a necessity, they need not lift one finger. Even if, during their lifetime, they bury themselves in a garden house!

RBR: Uh, all right then. Maybe it's better if you don't vote for me...


tags: zuda, interview, dc, comics, webcomics, philosophy, zombies

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home